Brikka is the brand name of a Coffee maker / Coffee pot / stove pot / Macchinetta / Caffettiera made by Bialetti from Italy.
Brikka produces great espresso (actually, espresso-like) with rich crema, much better than any other coffee pot.
If you use the Brikka, Brikka2, Brikka-Elite coffee pot and use it correctly (*), you can trust it will serve you for long time without any needed maintenance out of washing it after each use.
(*) Correct use means:
1. Using correct amount of water. (Use the measuring container or fill up to the mark on the inside of water container)
2. Using water without or with very low degree of scale.
3. Using the right ground degree of coffee which is MEDIUM and not fine.
4. Filling the funnel with coffee WITHOUT pressing it.
5. Assembling the 2 parts (coffee and water containers) tightly.
6. Applying small and intense heat source that will not exceed the coffee pot base.
Over the years Bialetti introduced several models of the Brikka coffee maker. (Brikka, Brikka2, Brikka-Elite)
Basically all models are the same with design changes made to the cover/lid , its handle and hinge.
Each model comes in a 2-cups version and in a 4-cups version.
Solid lid model
Transparent lid model with center handle
Open lid model with side handle
After extensive usage or due to use of wrong ground coffee and/or scale water, your Brikka might get clogged,
release pressure through the valve or between parts, use only part of the water etc.
It will stop acting normally and will not produce your favorite espresso.
The reasons might be one or few of the following:
1. Clogged filter.
2. Worn filter gasket that does not allow pressure to build.
3. Clogged funnel.
Worn funnel gasket.
5. Clogged coffee center pipe that does not allow coffee to flow to upper container.
6. Clogged / stuck weight that blocks the coffee from flowing to upper container
If one of the above happens, it’s time you’ll send your Brikka to Bialetti's service center or clean/repair it yourself.
WARNING: The following fix might void Bialetti warranty. If you follow it, you do it on your own risk !
First, let’s examine and get familiar with Brikka parts: